While some people think bariatric surgery is an easy way out, they are mistaken. Choosing to have this surgery is not an easy choice and should be entered into lightly. When a person has spent years trying to lose weight to no avail, bariatric surgery may be their answer.
Tips For Preparing For Surgery
There are many steps a person must go through to pursue bariatric surgery. Whether a person is considering the surgery or is already scheduled, these tips will help them prepare so they will be ready for the procedure.
- It is beneficial for a person to learn all they can about the surgery so they can make a truly sound decision. The more a person knows about the procedure, the less likely they are to develop issues when dealing with the necessary changes in lifestyle.
- It is a wise idea for a person to check with their insurance company to see if the surgery is covered. Not all insurance companies cover this type of surgery since some still deem it to be elective in nature.
- Smokers need to stop smoking before they undergo gastric bypass because smoking will cause the healing process to be longer and less successful.
- When a person undergoes gastric bypass surgery, there are many diet changes they must adopt. Eliminating sugar, soda, and high levels of carbs can be beneficial. The sooner this is done, the more successful a person will be once they undergo the surgery.
- Exercise is important in helping individuals lose weight after gastric bypass. The sooner a person begins their exercise routine, the more successful they will be after their surgery.
Schedule a Consultation
If you have done all you can to lose weight but are finding it difficult, if not impossible, Lahey Hospital & Medical Center Surgical Weight Loss Center can help. With a consultation appointment, a person can learn if they are a good candidate for bariatric surgery and what they can expect.
Call today if you would like to schedule your appointment. They will be happy to help you through each stage of the process so you can overcome obesity and live a healthier, happier life. To learn more, find out here.